Even the most devout Christians will naturally face spiritual struggles every now and then. They will inevitably face evil in their day-to-day lives. In these situations, it may benefit you to be a prayer warrior.
What is a prayer warrior? What are the characteristics of a prayer warrior? How do they help people? Find all the answers to your questions here.
Prayer Warriors: What are They?
To become a prayer warrior, you will need to understand what they are and what duties they have. Essentially, a prayer warrior is someone who participates in the battle between good and evil.
They act on the side of God and all things good. In order to overcome the struggles of evil, prayer warriors embrace the teachings of Christianity and God’s teachings.
What Do Prayer Warriors Do?
A prayer warrior is empowered by their faith and trust in God. They will fight their battles not by using their fists, but through prayer. Ultimately, they are powered by the teachings of the Bible.
Instead of relying on their own characteristics and strength, prayer warriors will use God’s might. They trust wholeheartedly in God, making them a powerful force.
How to Become a Prayer Warrior?
There are several steps that you will need to take in your path to becoming an incredible prayer warrior. They are:
Understand the Bible
If you are interested in becoming a prayer warrior, you will need to be versed in the teachings of the Bible. As a consequence, you will need to read the Bible thoroughly. In order to understand the teachings of God, you will need to understand the holy book of Christianity.
To deepen your understanding, you may want to attend a Bible group. This will give you the opportunity to speak to other people about certain passages, potentially clarifying them or giving you an alternative interpretation. You may also consider making notes or annotations about specific passages.
Highlight any sections that particularly stick out to you so that you can easily access them whenever you need them.
In order to become a prayer warrior, you will need to practice praying. As you can tell from the name, prayer warriors used prayer as one of their main weapons.
If you are struggling to pray routinely, you may want to consider setting up a schedule. For example, you may want to pray as soon as you wake up or before you go to bed.
You should pray as often as you feel you need to. This can be done whenever and wherever you feel like it. Prayer is a flexible matter. As long as you make the time for it, prayer will benefit you.
You can either pray several times a day for short amounts of time or you can pray less frequently for a longer period of time. As a general rule, it is a good idea to pray at least once a day.
In terms of prayer, you should also use this as an opportunity to help other people. Not only can you pray for other people who need God’s help, but you can be there for other people who want to pray with you.
When you are praying, you should try to listen out for God’s words. When you are praying, you are not only talking to God. In fact, God will often talk back to you. It can be difficult to notice God’s voice, though you may be able to pick up on it after much practice. Doing so will better prepare you to carry out God’s teachings.
As Jeremiah 29:12 states “then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” This means that you can rely on God when praying to him. God will always listen to your prayers and can always be reached via this method.
If you endeavor to become a prayer warrior, you will also need to regularly worship God. There are several ways of worshipping God. Consequently, you can use whichever method is best suited for you.
One of the best ways to worship God is to simply live your life in a way that carries out his teachings.
You can worship God by showing compassion to others. Show your love for the world and people God has created. In addition, you can worship God by being grateful for all the great things that you have in your life. This could include love, friends, family, wealth, possessions, safety, and health.
Aside from praying, you can also worship God in a more traditional way through singing hymns. If you attend church regularly, this is likely something that you already do.
One of the most popular techniques of praising God is through song. If you are not much of a singer, you can try dancing or playing a musical instrument to demonstrate your appreciation to God.
Make sure that you worship God even when you do not feel like it. This could be because you are experiencing a period of personal struggle. Even in these times, it is important to continue your battle against evil by worshipping God.
Through the Armor of God
In Ephesians 6: 10-13, we are told
“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.”
In order to become a prayer warrior, a person must don the armor of God. This armor is not literal, but a metaphorical suit of armor that can be used in the spiritual battle against Satan.
Essentially, the armor of God will prepare you to confront the evil in the world. To wear this armor, you will need to be righteous, truthful, faithful to God, and full of spirit.
The armor of God is comprised of:
- The helmet of salvation
- The breastplate of righteousness
- The belt of truth
- The shoes of peace and gospel
- The sword of the holy spirit
- The shield of faith
Since the duty of a prayer warrior is to confront evil, the armor of God is the ideal suit to attack this evil and to protect you from it.
The 11 Characteristics of a Prayer Warrior
There are several characteristics that are essential to becoming a prayer warrior. You will need to adopt these characteristics in order to become one.
Battling evil can take a very long time. In fact, many people have been prayer warriors for several years. Due to this, you will need to be patient. If you are not patient, your resolve may crumble and you may become bored of being a prayer warrior.
You will need to understand that God has a plan. In Jeremiah 29:11, God states “For I know the plans I have for you”. In essence, this means that God already has an idea of your life and the things you will go on to do. As a result, you will need to trust that things will happen when God decides that it is time. Since this could take a long time, you must be incredibly patient.
If you desire to become a prayer warrior, you will need a strong moral compass. Though you will be working on the orders of God, it is nonetheless important that you be of excellent moral character.
A powerful sense of what is right and wrong will be necessary. You should be able to make moral decisions and justify your actions. This is because you will need to be able to identify evil and know how to avoid doing bad things. If not, you may become as immoral as the evil that you seek to fight.
In order to wear the armor of God, you need the shield of faith. Strong faith in God will protect prayer warriors. It will also ensure that you can properly listen to God’s words. Only people with a powerful faith can transform into prayer warriors.
Like any good warrior, a prayer warrior will need to persevere in the face of adversity. This will mean that they refuse to give up even when things are difficult. Even when evil is hard to face, a prayer warrior will return to the battlefield and continue fighting in the name of God.
Love and compassion are one of the most important elements of being a Christian. The Bible tells us “if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing” (1 Corinthians 13:2). Essentially, even if you are really powerful in faith, you can be a lot more powerful if you embrace love. You can reach your full potential by becoming a loving person.
Though love is important for all Christians, it is especially crucial for prayer warriors. A great technique of combating evil is to show love to others. You should demonstrate this compassion to everyone, including your friends, family, neighbors, and colleagues.
Even if they are a person that you do not particularly like, it is pivotal that you display compassion toward them. This will diminish the power of evil.
Loyal to God
If you are not completely loyal to God, you will be unable to become a prayer warrior. One of the main aspects of a prayer warrior is to be completely devoted to the word of God.
If you are not fully committed to God’s teachings, how can you possibly carry out his work? Even during times when your faith has been tested, you should show your loyalty to God.
You are bound to make mistakes when you are a prayer warrior. This is to be expected. It is important to confess to your mistakes after you have made them. Inform God of these errors and promise to stop them from happening again in the future.
Learn from your mistakes and take steps to ensure that you do not make the same mistakes again. If you do not repent and show remorse, you will never improve.
When you face evil, things can seem very dark. To repel this evil you should trust that things will improve. This feeling is called hope.
It is the knowledge that there is light at the end of the tunnel. A prayer warrior should be hopeful that one day Jesus will return.
While you must think about yourself and your own well-being, only people who are able to sacrifice their own wants and needs can become efficient prayer warriors. This is because the duty requires complete commitment to fulfilling God’s wishes.
In some cases, this will mean putting the needs of others ahead of your own. This can be a very hard characteristic to demonstrate and is not found in everyone.
You must be humble enough to recognize that this is not your fight, but the fight of God. you are merely working on behalf of God.
When carrying out God’s wisdom, you should not put yourself above God or other people. As a result, humility is advised.
The last characteristic that is essential to becoming a prayer warrior is perceptiveness. You will need to be self-aware and observant. Otherwise, you may not be able to hear God’s voice. As a consequence, those who are not perceptive may mishear or misunderstand God’s teachings.
You must also be self-aware enough to recognize when you are fighting for God and when you are fighting for yourself. A prayer warrior should be fighting in the name of God, not for themselves.
If you perceive yourself doing this, you should repent and change your behavior. Those who are not perceptive may not pick up on the fact that they are doing things for themselves and not for God.
Can I become a Prayer Warrior?
A lot of people are capable of becoming prayer warriors, so long as they put effort into their studies. Furthermore, they must show the ten characteristics that are listed above. Some of these characteristics are quite time-consuming and difficult to cultivate, potentially requiring a lot of time and effort.
If you want to cut corners, then being a prayer warrior may not be for you. You may want to look into other outlets through which you can express your faith that necessitates less dedication.
People of any age, race, class, or gender can become a prayer warrior. It is a diverse role, though not everyone is capable of showing enough deviation to God.
Who are Some Famous Prayer Warriors?
If you are still on the fence about becoming a prayer warrior, it may help you to learn that there are actually several prayer warriors in the Bible. You can learn from these prayer warriors to become a better person and warrior. Among the prayer warriors in the Bible are:
- Jesus – this may sound obvious, but Jesus is one of the most famous examples of a prayer warrior in the Bible. In many ways, Jesus is the model prayer warrior. He even taught his disciples the best way to pray.
- Moses – Moses had a devout faith in God. Without this faith, he likely would have been unable to lead the Israelites to safety. God rewarded Moses by parting the Red Sea, enabling the Israelites to get away from the
- Paul – the Apostle Paul constantly stressed how crucial prayer was. This dedication to prayer shows that he is a staunch prayer warrior.
- David – having famously beaten Goliath, David then became king of Israel and Judah. As a prayer warrior, David’s journey shows that he was rewarded for his deep trust in God. When in need David prayed to God. His prayers were answered, showing the benefits of being a prayer warrior.
- Deborah – though she may be lesser-known than some of these other examples, Deborah is nonetheless an important figure in the Bible. Deborah was a prophetess and a judge. She demonstrated great faith that God would act at the right time, which paid off eventually.
- Esther – this queen prayed to God in her time of need. If you are looking for a female prayer warrior, you may want to consider reading the stories of Deborah and Esther.
- Job – Job was infamously tested by God in the Bible. In order to prove that Job was not just loyal to him because he was protected, God exposed Job to a life of struggles. Though Job’s faith was rocked, he still showed devotion to God even in the face of extreme hardships.
There are loads of examples of prayer warriors throughout history. There are also some examples of modern-day politicians working as prayer warriors. Though their actions are not as well-documented as the Biblical prayer warriors, they nonetheless should be noted. These prayer warriors include:
- John Wesley – in the 18th century, John Wesley was an important figure in Methodism. A form of prayer, known as the Wesley Covenant Prayer, was named after him.
- William Bramwell – alive in the 18th and 19th centuries, Bramwell was an influential preacher. His work resulted in Christianity being revived in Yorkshire.
- George Müller – this evangelist ran an orphanage in England. In fact, Müller’s orphanage helped thousands of young boys. He was known to regularly pray to God. For instance, he routinely prayed that the orphanage would receive funding.
- Sarah Palin – in 2008, this modern-day politician ran as Vice-President for the Republican Party. She has acknowledged the importance of prayer warriors to her campaign.
- Bob Riley – another Republican politician, Bob Riley encouraged the people in his district to be prayer warriors. Riley’s efforts to spread awareness of prayer warriors should be praised. Of course, this technique is not just used by Republicans, but also politicians of other leanings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Even after lingering through our guide, you may still have some lingering questions. To help you, we have answered some of the most common questions out there. Hopefully, our answers will provide some clarity and enhance your understanding of the concept of a prayer warrior.
What are the benefits of becoming a prayer warrior?
There are many advantages to becoming a prayer warrior. This role can vastly improve both their own life and the lives of others. Some of the primary benefits are:
- Expressing your faith – when you become a prayer warrior, you show God and the world your strong faith in Christianity. It is a way of worshipping God and showing that you are grateful toward him.
- Fighting evil – this sounds like a no-brainer. Why ignore evil when you can instead work to battle it? Anyone with a powerful moral compass will like the idea of working to repel evil.
- Self-improvement – in order to become a prayer warrior, you need to cultivate some rare characteristics. As you can tell from the characteristics listed earlier, not everyone is able to become a prayer warrior. If you do, you will likely become a better and more well-rounded person.
- Helping others – when you become a prayer warrior, you are helping others. This may be directly helping them, such as by praying with them or providing them with guidance. However, it could also be more indirect. For instance, you are helping other people by combating evil. Some people may need you to specifically help them to overcome the evil that they have faced.
What are the responsibilities of a prayer warrior?
As mentioned earlier, the main duty of a prayer warrior is to work in the name of God. Using the wisdom of God, you will spiritually fight evil. You are an agent of God and light, working to combat evil not literally, but on a spiritual level. Here are some of the other responsibilities you will need to perform:
- Recognizing evil and sin – after all, you cannot combat it if you are incapable of identifying it. Satan, as a deceiver and trickster, is notoriously hard to detect. Thus, this can take some practice.
- Listening to God – you must listen and obey the wisdom of God in order to become a prayer warrior. This can be done by reading the Bible and continuously praying to God.
What are prayer warriors also called?
Let’s face it, “prayer warrior” is a pretty awesome title. It sounds really cool and is the perfect way of illustrating the battle between good and evil. However, you may want to use a different title for this role. If so, you may want to consider the name “Intercessor”. Basically, an intercessor is a person who prays on the behalf of another person.
In 1 Timothy 2:1 we are told “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people.” This quote shows us that prayers should be made for all people. Because of this, it is an intercessor’s job to intervene and pray for others, especially those who need prayer. If you are having a hard time, you may want to be a prayer warrior or an intercessor and pray for them.
Though all of these characteristics might sound a little overwhelming, it is worth trying to adopt them in order to become a prayer warrior. If you have the faith, characteristics, time, and energy, we recommend giving it a go.
As mentioned earlier, there are many benefits to becoming a prayer warrior, the main ones being that you can show your devotion to God and that you can help put an end to evil once and for all.